July 20, 2017 – Eleven employees at Carroll Lutheran Village have been awarded scholarships to continue their education. The recipients were honored during a reception at the Village on July 20.
The awards were made through the Walters Education Fund, which provides scholarship and education advancement opportunities to Village employees in three tracks: Student, Professional Development and Clinical.
To qualify for a Student Scholarship, student employees must have worked at least 1,000 hours at Carroll Lutheran Village and plan to enroll full-time in college in the fall. Each receives $500 per semester for up to eight semesters for a total of $4,000. Student scholarships are funded by donations from residents of Carroll Lutheran Village to show appreciation for the service provided by the students. The 2017 recipients are:
- Megan Beares of Westminster who will attend Carroll Community College
- Bailey Ebert of Finksburg who will attend Towson University
- Benjamin Ebert of Finksburg who will attend the University of Maryland
- Emily Johnson of Westminster who will attend Carroll Community College
- Sarah Metcalf of Westminster who will attend Salisbury University
- Sarah Murphey of Taneytown who will attend Hood College
- Amy Tesch of Westminster who will attend Belmont Abbey College
Since its inception in 2000, the Student Scholarship program has awarded more than $203,200 in scholarships to 114 students.
Professional Track scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis to employees who wish to advance their skills. The 2017 recipients were Ashley Baxley, Tammy Hartman and Victorine Nche.
One employee, Jennifer Franklin, received a Clinical Track scholarship to become qualified as a Geriatric Nursing Assistant.
The Walters Education Fund strengthens Carroll Lutheran Village’s ability to attract and retain the best possible talent to serve residents,” said Vice President of Human Resources Suzy Dyer-Gear. “It also allows us to offer competitive professional development and career growth opportunities.”
Carroll Lutheran Village is an accredited, not-for-profit continuing care retirement community in Westminster, MD. Carroll Lutheran Village is home to nearly 700 residents and more than 400 employees.